building a web interface

Jean-Michel Pichavant jeanmichel at sequans.com
Mon Nov 22 06:14:27 EST 2010

Shel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am pretty new to all this. I have some coding experience, and am
> currently most comfortable with Python.  I also have database design
> experience with MS Access, and have just created my first mySQL db.
>
> So right now I have a mySQL db structure and some Python code. My end
> goal is to create a browser-based interactive fiction/game thing. My
> code is currently just using dummy data rather than pulling in data
> from the db, but I think/hope it won't be too big of a deal to
> interact with the db through Python (famous last words...).
>
> My main problem right now is how to do the web interface. I don't know
> much about web architecture, unfortunately. I think I need a CGI
> script?
>
> What I would really like is to find a GUI tool to design the interface
> that would have customizable templates or drag-and-drop elements or
> something, so I wouldn't have to code much by hand. Something easy, if
> such a tool exists.
>
> Also would prefer something that I would be able to install/use
> without having much access to the server where the site will be hosted
> (on a university server that I don't have control over). I don't fully
> understand how a lot of the tools I have been looking at work, but it
> seems like they're often things where you'd have to get an
> administrator to do stuff on the server (is that right?), which I
> would prefer to avoid.
>
> It looks like Django has some sort of standalone implementation, but
> I'm not clear on how that would work or how much of a learning curve
> there would be for using it.
>
> If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions, I would really appreciate
> it.
>
> Hope my questions make sense. I don't really know what I'm doing, so
> could be they're a bit silly. I apologize if that's the case, and
> please let me know if you need any additional informmation.
>
> Thanks,
> Shel

Django is quite popular, they claim to be easy to learn/use. That's for
the web framework.
You could use pyjamas for the web interface, looks like it works well
with django.

Hmm, writing python code only, sounds like a dream come true :D

Note that I never used one of these, it just happened I had to look for
possible solutions for a web application.

JM