Scheme as a virtual machine?

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at pas.despam.s.il.vous.plait.mac.com
Mon Nov 22 17:12:21 EST 2010

On 2010-11-22 11:25:34 -0500, scattered said:

> And you don't think that [JH] could write a book about Haskell
> if he honestly came to think that it were a superior all-aroung
> language?

Until he actually does, he has a financial interest in trash-talking
Haskell. This makes anything he says about Haskell suspect.

>  The fact that he *didn't* mindlessly reject [musical note lang] in favor of
> [Irish Ship Of The Desert] when [musical note lang] came out (despite
> the fact that at the time his company
> was deeply (exclusively?) invested in [Irish Ship Of The Desert] and
> arguably had a vested
> interest in having [musical note lang] fail to gain support) suggests
> that he is able
> to fairly evaluate the merits of other languages.

No, it suggests that he saw that supporting the Irish Ship Of The
Desert meant going up against Microsoft, so he jumped to the MS
supported variant of the Donut Dromedary.

You miss the fundamental point; having a financial interest in the
outcome of a debate makes anything that person says an advertisement
for his financial interests, not a fair assessment.

> Doubtless he has
> biases, but there is no reason to think that they are any greater than
> the bias of any programmer who has invested substantial amounts of
> time in becoming fluent in a particular language.

Just the opposite. A person who makes his living by being paid to
program in a language he has developed some expertise in (rather than
selling books on it and training for it) has no financial interest in
seeing others develop expertise in it - they would just represent
competition. By contrast, one who sells training and books for a
language profits directly when others take an interest in that
language. Their financial interests are in fact opposite.

JH profits when people take an interest in languages he sells training
for; a working lisp programmer sees additional *competition* when
someone else develops expertise in common lisp.

> But an advocate isn't a judge. Nobody is handing down binding
> decisions here - they are just advocating their positions.

Now you're arguing our point; JH is an *advocate* with a clear conflict
of interest which prevents him from presenting anything but the most
one sided, and therefore largely useless, assessment. His writing
should be seen as a paid advertisement, not as a fair treatment of
programming languages.

warmest regards,

Ralph

--