How do I get the URL of the active tab in Firefox/IE/Chrome?

He Jibo hejibo at
Sun Nov 28 16:06:40 CET 2010

I am writing a small program, which needs to get the URL of the active
tab in either of firefox, internet exploerer or chrome.
My need is similar as the one posted at,
... -ie-chrome

I did a lot of Googling, and get the following code. The following
code can get the url of the first tab in internet explorer. My
question is, how can I get the url of the current active tab? Thanks.

''' ... Bar-Python ... 35657.aspx ... 02040.html ... lass-file/
from win32com.client import Dispatch
import win32api, win32con,win32gui

SHELL = Dispatch("Shell.Application")

def get_ie(shell):
for win in shell.Windows():
# print win
if win.Name == "Windows Internet Explorer":
return win
return None

def main():
ie = get_ie(SHELL)