How do I get the URL of the active tab in Firefox/IE/Chrome?

He Jibo hejibo at
Mon Nov 29 06:53:52 CET 2010

I am writing a small program, which needs to get the URL of the active
tab in either of firefox, internet exploerer or chrome.
My need is similar as the one posted at,

I did a lot of Googling, and get the following code. The following
code can get the url of the first tab in internet explorer. My
question is, how can I get the url of the current active tab? Thanks.

from win32com.client import Dispatch
import win32api, win32con,win32gui

SHELL = Dispatch("Shell.Application")

def get_ie(shell):
    for win in shell.Windows():
#        print win
        if win.Name == "Windows Internet Explorer":
            return win
    return None

def main():
    ie = get_ie(SHELL)
    if ie:
        print ie.LocationURL
        print ie.LocationName
        print ie.ReadyState
        print ie
        print ie.Document.title
        print ie.Document.location
        print ie.Document.forms

#        title = win32gui.GetWindowText(ie)
#        print title

        print "no ie window"

if __name__ == '__main__':