Python 2.7.1

Spider matthew at cuneiformsoftware.com
Mon Nov 29 18:11:28 EST 2010

> 2.7 includes many features that were first released in Python 3.1. The faster io module ...

I understand that I/O in Python 3.0 was slower than 2.x (due to quite
a lot of the code being in Python rather than C, I gather), and that
this was fixed up in 3.1. So, io in 3.1 is faster than in 3.0.

Is it also true that io is faster in 2.7 than 2.6? That's what the
release notes imply, but I wonder whether that comment has been back-
ported from the 3.1 release notes, and doesn't actually apply to 2.7.

Of course, I probably should benchmark it, but if someone who knows
the history of the io module can respond, that would be great. My
specific interest is in file read/write speeds.

Thanks