Programming games in historical linguistics with Python

Dax Bloom bloom.dax at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 10:03:28 EST 2010

Hello,

Following a discussion that began 3 weeks ago I would like to ask a
question regarding substitution of letters according to grammatical
rules in historical linguistics. I would like to automate the
transformation of words according to complex rules of phonology and
integrate that script in a visual environment.
Here follows the previous thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/3c55f9f044c3252f/fe7c2c82ecf0dbf5?lnk=gst&q=evolutionary+linguistics#fe7c2c82ecf0dbf5

Is there a way to refer to vowels and consonants as a subcategory of
text? Is there a function to remove all vowels? How should one create
and order the dictionary file for the rules? How to chain several
transformations automatically from multiple rules? Finally can anyone
show me what existing python program or phonological software can do
this?

What function could tag syllables, the word nucleus and the codas? How
easy is it to bridge this with a more visual environment where
interlinear, aligned text can be displayed with Greek notations and
braces as usual in the phonology textbooks?

Best regards,

Dax Bloom