How to find free resident memory in Linux using python

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Sat Oct 2 17:08:52 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-02, Sandy <dksreddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to find how much free memory (RAM) is available in my system
> using python.

The question is essentially incoherent on modern systems.  You'd have to
define terms.  Consider that on a given system, it's quite possible that
gigabytes of space are being used to cache disk buffers.  Some of those
could be freed as soon as they get written; some could be freed simply by
dropping them, since they're just a read cache.  There may be data which
have been paged out, and will be paged back in as soon as possible -- meaning
that freeing up space wouldn't actually increase the number of available
pages of memory for long.

So basically, the question isn't all that well defined.  You can get all
sorts of numbers.  They may or may not mean anything.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net