no .pyc

Tim Hanson tjhanson at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 7 05:55:41 EDT 2010

I feel a little silly.  I am learning Python by reading _Learning_Python_ by
Mark Lutz.  I made it all the way to "Hello World" before my first question.
:-)

The program isn't too complicated.
print "Hello World"
print 2**100

I saved it to a directory for which I have rw permissions that I moved to with
cd ~/prog.  I set the execute bit.  I started the file with #!/usr/bin/python.
I think I did everything right, and the program ran properly, both as a shell
command (python foo.py) and as a standalone (./foo.py).

No *.pyc.  .py is there.  What am I doing wrong?

Oh, yeah:  2.6.5, Ubuntu 10.04.