question about a program

Andreas Waldenburger usenot at geekmail.INVALID
Fri Oct 8 19:11:57 EDT 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010 14:34:21 -0700 Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Logan Butler <killable1337 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > question about an assignment:

> > [4, 10, 15, 18]
> >
> > this is my code:
> >
> > def places(x, y):
> >    return [x.index(y) for v in x if (v == y)]
> >
> > so far I'm only getting
> > [4, 4, 4, 4]
> >
> > so the first value is correct, it is just not iterating on to the
> > next three items it needs to
>
> Your loop variable is v, but your expression `x.index(y)` does not use
> v at all, and hence its value is invariant over the course of the
> loop.

Nice catch, but the "if (v==y)" clause nullifies that in any case.

The real reason is that list.index(x) returns the index of the *first*
occurrence of x, so its invariant by default.

/W

--
To reach me via email, replace INVALID with the country code of my home
country.  But if you spam me, I'll be one sour Kraut.