"Strong typing vs. strong testing"

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 05:44:47 EDT 2010

On 10/02/10 20:04, Nick Keighley wrote:

>> > Any time something is true "by definition" that is an indication that
>> > it's not a particularly useful fact.
> I'm not sure I agree. On occaision knowing something is true-by-
> definition is very useful!

Something that is true by definition is just as useful as saying: "my
program is correct, by definition, because my requirement is what my
code is doing". It's a circular argument, your program requirement, for
which the program is supposed to be tested against, is the code itself;
so whatever undesirable behavior the program might have is parts of the
requirement, so the program is, by definition, bug free and it's user
expectation that's wrong.