Reading Outlook .msg file using Python

John Henry john106henry at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 10 17:51:38 EDT 2010

Hello all:

I have a need to read .msg files exported from Outlook.  Google search
came out with a few very old posts about the topic but nothing really
useful.  The email module in Python is no help - everything comes back
blank and it can't even see if there are attachments.  Did find a Java
library to do the job and I suppose when push come to shove, I would
have to learn Jython and see if it can invoke the Java library.  But
before I do that, can somebody point me to a Python/COM solution?

I don't need to gain access to Exchange or Outlook.  I just need to
read the .msg file and extract information + attachments from it.

Thanks,