if the else short form

NevilleDNZ nevillednz at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 19:41:34 EDT 2010

On Oct 10, 6:02 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> As for DICT, I think table lookups were still a sufficiently novel concept
> for people to disagree on how they should best be implemented.

I then stumbled over this paper:
Title: List processing in Algol 68 - V. J. Rayward-Smith
International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and
Technology, 1464-5211, Volume 17, Issue 2, 1986, Pages 239 – 245
* http://www.informaworld.com/index/746867626.pdf - PayWall $30.00
> Abstract
> An Algol 68 implementation of a LISP-like list processing package
> is described. Emphasis is placed upon the importance of Algol 68
> as a teaching tool and upon the need for proving the correctness
> of the programs.

Not having LIST and DICT as part of the base language would make sense
if user contributions were encouraged.  After all that would make way
for evolving the base/primitive language by selecting the most
successful contributions.  IMHO this is where python modules have been
a big success story as it helps time proof the language by allowing
the language to embrace new technologies as they establish themselves
in the market place.

c.f. Anti Gravity: http://xkcd.com/353/

Enjoy
NevilleDNZ
--
To download Linux's Algol68 Compiler, Interpreter & Runtime:
* http://sourceforge.net/projects/algol68/files