Performance evaluation of HTTPS library

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Oct 12 09:33:24 EDT 2010

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 05:40:43 -0700 (PDT)
Ashish Vyas <amvyas82 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Another observation that I have made is with 10 parallel HTTPS connection each
> trying 1 transaction per second from 2 different machines (effectively same load
> on server), the response time is again reducing to .17 secs.
> However if I run two instances of the tool with 10 parallel HTTPS connection
> each trying 1 transaction per second from from same machine, the response time
> is again shooting up to 1.1 seconds.

Is the client machine at 100% CPU when you do that?

> So the question is does anyone here have any idea or some data about performance
> limitation of HTTPS implementation in Python 3.1?

Which API are you using? urlopen()?
The HTTPS implementation is basically the same as the HTTP
implementation, except for the additional SSL layer. So if indeed
Python is responsible for the slowdown, it may be because of excessive
overhead brought by the SSL layer.

It would be nice if you tried the just-released Python 3.2 alpha,
because some changes have been made to the SSL wrapper:
http://python.org/download/releases/3.2/

Also, there's a feature request to reduce overhead of SSL
connections, but it needs implementing:
http://bugs.python.org/issue8106

Regards

Antoine.