Help needed - To get path of a directory

Kingsley Turner kingsley.turner at openfieldcommunications.com
Wed Oct 13 00:44:29 EDT 2010

  On 13/10/10 15:26, Bishwarup Banerjee wrote:
> I want to get the absolute path of the Directory I pass explicitly. Like
> functionName("\abcd").
> I should pass the name of the directory and the function should search for
> it in the Hard drives and return me the full path of location on the
> drive. I tried using os.path, but didn't succeed.

One way to achieve this is to fetch a recursive directory list for all
drives, and then search for your directory_name.endswith("abcd") in each
list.  But what would you do with multiple occurrences ?

Here's a function to fetch a recursive directory list:

import os.path

def getRecursiveDirList(path):
     dir_list = []
     if (os.path.isdir(path)):
         try:
             files = os.listdir(path)
             files.sort()
         except:
             files = []
         for x in files:
             full_path = os.path.join(path, x)
             if (os.path.isdir(full_path)):
                 dir_list.append(os.path.join(full_path,''))
                 for full_path in getRecursiveDirList(full_path):
                     dir_list.append(full_path)
     return dir_list

I've only tested this function under Linux.
It's also probably sub-optimal.

I don't know how to enumerate all your windows device letters.

regards,
-kt