Standardizing RPython - it's time.

Carl Friedrich Bolz cfbolz at gmx.de
Wed Oct 13 05:33:40 EDT 2010

Hi John,

John Nagle <nagle <at> animats.com> writes:

>      All attempts to make the dialect defined by CPython significantly
> faster have failed.  PyPy did not achieve much of a speed
> improvement over CPython, and is sometimes slower.

This is not true. While PyPy is indeed sometimes slower than CPython, there is a
significant speedup for many synthetic and real-life benchmarks. PyPy with a JIT
is up to 20 times faster than CPython for synthetic benchmarks like richards,
but still something like 6 times faster for Django. It also beats Psyco in
almost all benchmarks. For detailed measurements, please visit our benchmarking
site: http://speed.pypy.org

All these numbers are also only the current state, PyPy is still continuously
improving.

Cheers,

Carl Friedrich