"Strong typing vs. strong testing" [OT]

Antoon Pardon Antoon.Pardon at rece.vub.ac.be
Wed Oct 13 10:17:19 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 01:20:30PM +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 22:13:26 -0700, RG wrote:
>
> >> The formula: circumference = 2 x pi x radius is taught in primary
> >> schools, yet it's actually a very difficult formula to prove!
> >
> > What's to prove?  That's the definition of pi.
>
> Incorrect -- it's not necessarily so that the ratio of the circumference
> to the radius of a circle is always the same number. It could have turned
> out that different circles had different ratios.

If that is your concern, you should have reacted to the previous poster
since in that case his equation couldn't be proven either.

Since by not reacting to the previous poster, you implicitely accepted
the equation and thus the context in which it is true: euclidean geometry.
So I don't think that concerns that fall outside this context have any
relevance.

--
Antoon Pardon