My first Python program

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Wed Oct 13 15:12:17 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-13, Jonas H. <jonas at lophus.org> wrote:
> Not really. Files will be closed when the garbage collector collects the
> file object, but you can't be sure the GC will run within the next N
> seconds/instructions or something like that. So you should *always* make
> sure to close files after using them. That's what context managers were
> introduced for.

>      with open('foobar') as fileobject:
>          do_something_with(fileobject)

That makes sense.  I don't think it'd quite work in this case, because I
want to open several files all at once, do a ton of work that populates
them with files, and then close them all.

This is a nice idiom, though.  In C, I've been sort of missing that idiom,
which I first encountered in Ruby.  (I mean, spelled differently, but the
same basic thing.)

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net