Compiling as 32bit on MacOSX

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Oct 13 19:41:39 EDT 2010

In article <8hmpchFshrU1 at mid.individual.net>,
 Gregory Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Ned Deily wrote:
> > You'll also need to specify the appropriate SDK using Apple's gcc
> > -sysroot option.
> Are you sure? I'm not asking for ppc + i386, I'm
> asking for i386 + x86_64. I can get either of these
> individually without switching SDKs.

Well, you'd need it if you want backward compatibility (with an older
ABI) but, no, you wouldn't need -sysroot just to produce i386 and x86_64
on a 64-bit capable machine running 10.6.

Getting back to your previous post: "But I can't seem to get it to work
-- it just uses the last architecture specified."   Perhaps you're
calling ld(1) directly?  To link multiple-arch executables (etc), the
Apple gcc driver does the dirty work of calling ld multiple times and
lipo-ing the results.  See the Apple ld(1) man page.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org