Boolean value of generators

Peter Otten __peter__ at web.de
Thu Oct 14 09:36:15 EDT 2010

Tony wrote:

> I have been using generators for the first time and wanted to check for
> an empty result.  Naively I assumed that generators would give
> appopriate boolean values.  For example
>
> def xx():
>   l = []
>   for x in l:
>     yield x
>
> y = xx()
> bool(y)
>

> I expected the last line to return False but it actually returns True.
> Is there anyway I can enhance my generator or iterator to have the
> desired effect?

* What would you expect

def f():
    if random.randrange(2):
        yield 42

print bool(f())

to print? Schrödinger's Cat?

* You can wrap your generator into an object that reads one item in advance.
A slightly overengineered example:

http://code.activestate.com/recipes/577361-peek-ahead-an-iterator/

* I would recommend that you avoid the above approach. Pythonic solutions
favour EAFP (http://docs.python.org/glossary.html#term-eafp) over look-
before-you-leap:

try:
    value = next(y)