Does everyone keep getting recruiting emails from google?

Daniel Fetchinson fetchinson at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 14 11:49:33 EDT 2010

I keep getting recruiting emails from charlesnguyen at google.com about
working for google as an engineer. The messages are pretty much the
same and go like this:

------------------------------------
I am part of the Google Staffing team and was wondering if you would
be open to exploring engineering opportunities with Google. I am
impressed with your background and thought your skills could be a fit
for our team.

I am currently looking for Engineers with hybrid Unix/Linux Systems
Administrators who possess experience in coding in C/C++ or Java
and/or scripting skills (Perl, Python, or Shell).

The Google.com Engineering Team is one of the most visible and
respected teams within Google, and the most mission critical. The team
is responsible for keeping the Google site and infrastructure up and
running 24/7, 365 days/year. They are dedicated to the scalability and
availability for the performance of Google applications. In short,
they maintain, monitor, and improve all Google services. Locations
primarily concentrated in Mt. View, Dublin, Zurich, with distributed
teams in San Francisco, Santa Monica, Boston, Kirkland, Seattle, New
York, London, and Sydney.

If you are interested, please email me an updated resume. If the
timing isn’t right for you to make a move, I would love to connect on
LinkedIn, and hopefully, we can keep in touch. Any referrals would be
appreciated!

I'm guessing I'm not the only one on this list to get these emails and
suspect that pretty much everyone gets them. Is that the case? If yes,
what's the point of spamming a more-or-less random set of people who
although are probably interested in IT-related stuff but who can
otherwise also be a set of dogs. Aren't enough people applying without
this?

Just wondering,
Daniel