PEP 249 (database api) -- executemany() with iterable?

Steve Howell showell30 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 14 21:20:14 EDT 2010

On Oct 13, 8:32 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l... at geek-
central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
> In message
> <d2451907-c0d2-4571-b3e1-1e4d4f66a... at a7g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, Steve
>
> Howell wrote:
> > Bulk-load strategies usually solve one or more of these problems:
>
> >  network latency
>
> That’s not an issue. This is a bulk operation, after all.
>
> >  index maintenance during the upload
>
> There are usually options to temporarily turn this off.
>
> >  parsing of the SQL
>
> Not usually a problem, as far as I can tell.
>
> >  reallocating storage
>
> You mean for thr SQL? Again, not usually a problem, as far as I can tell.

If you are avoiding network latency and turning off indexes, then you
are using some kind of a bulk-load strategy.

If you are not concerned about parsing costs or storage churn, then
you are simply evaluating the costs of a non-bulk-oriented strategy
and determining that they are minimal for your needs, which is fine.