EOF while scanning triple-quoted string literal

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Oct 15 14:14:13 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-15, Martin Gregorie <martin at address-in-sig.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 17:02:07 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>> On 2010-10-15, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In the Unix world, which includes OS X, text tools tend to have
>>> difficulty with tabs. Or try naming a file with a newline or carriage
>>> return in the file name, or a NULL byte.
>>
>> How do you create a file with a name that contains a NULL byte?
>
> Use a language or program that doesn't use null-terminated strings.
>
> Its quite easy in many BASICs, which often delimit strings by
> preceeding it with a with a byte count, and you hit Ctrl-SPACE by
> accident....

I don't see what the in-program string representation has to do with
it.  The Unix system calls that create files only accept NULL
terminated strings for the path parameter.

Are you saying that there are BASIC implementations for Unix that
create Unix files by directly accessing the disk rather than using the
Unix system calls?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm sitting on my
                                  at               SPEED QUEEN ... To me,