Starting Python in XP Pro

Dave Angel davea at ieee.org
Sat Oct 16 20:30:14 EDT 2010

  On 2:59 PM, Grant Andrew wrote:
> I'm a beginning user with some challenges.  I have installed and uninstalled
> several versions with the same results - I can't get IDLE to work, nor can I
> associate .py files with Python.
>
> So I can get the interactive shell interface but nothing else.  I'm
> currently running ActiveState 2.6.
>
> Any thoughts on where to begin are appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Grant

You could start by writing a more complete question.  Exactly what have
you tried, and in what way does it "not work" ?  Show what you typed at
the command prompt, and just what error messages you got.  Use copy &
paste, don't retype it.

With the ActiveState default install, you shouldn't need to create your
own association;  it should already be done by the installation.
However, if you install multiple versions, and don't properly uninstall,
it might change the default.

Have you tried running python.exe explicitly?

DaveA