what difference does redirection make?

Nikola Skoric nick at fly.srk.fer.hr
Sun Oct 17 15:04:37 EDT 2010

When I execute
nick at rilmir:~/code/simplepyged/docs/examples$ python latex.py
I get expected output (bunch of latex markup).

But, when I add a redirection, I get:
nick at rilmir:~/code/simplepyged/docs/examples$ python latex.py > foo.tex
  File "latex.py", line 87, in <module>
    print  mytemplate.render_unicode(stack=stack, index=latex_index(stack), pages=pages)
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xe9' in position 625: ordinal not in range(128)

Now, how does python even know I added a redirection?! And then... why
would it care?

Code of latex.py can be seen here:
http://github.com/dijxtra/simplepyged/blob/5ad8e0f14e93bde74520b502e5af71d78ed55bf0/docs/examples/latex.py

--