Help with paths

Andreas Waldenburger usenot at geekmail.INVALID
Mon Oct 18 23:29:11 CEST 2010

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 14:24:39 -0700 (PDT) Devin M <devinmrn at>

> Hello, I am using os.path to get the absolute paths of a few
> directories that some python files are in.
> FIlePath = os.path.dirname(os.path.realpath(__file__))
> which returns a path similar to /home/devinm/project/files
> Now I want to get the directory above this one. (/home/devinm/
> project/) Is there a simple way to do this? I was considering spliting
> apart the path and then reconstructing it with the last folder left
> off. Hope theres a better way to do this.
Maybe os.relpath("..", FilePath) ? Python > 2.6 only.

Don't know if that does what you want, but from the description, it
seems to fit:

os.path.relpath(path[, start])

    Return a relative filepath to path either from the current
    directory or from an optional start point.

    start defaults to os.curdir.

To reach me via email, replace INVALID with the country code of my home
country.  But if you spam me, I'll be one sour Kraut.