annoying CL echo in interactive python / ipython

kj no.email at please.post
Wed Oct 20 10:07:35 EDT 2010

In <mailman.29.1287515736.2218.python-list at python.org> Jed Smith <jed at jedsmith.org> writes:

>On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 2:35 PM, kj <no.email at please.post> wrote:
>> In <mailman.24.1287510296.2218.python-list at python.org> Jed Smith <jed at jed=
>smith.org> writes:

>>>That doesn't do what you think it does.
>>
>> Gee, thanks. =A0That really helped. =A0I'll go talk to my guru now,
>> and meditate over this.

>You're right, I could have been more clear. I was nudging you to go
>read the man page of stty(1), but since you won't and want to get
>snarky instead, I will for you:

>>     echo (-echo)
>>                 Echo back (do not echo back) every character typed.

I read that, and it did not add anything new to what I already knew
about stty -echo.

>I'm going to guess that the percent sign in your prompt indicates that
>you're using zsh(1).  With my minimally-customized zsh, the echo
>option is reset every time the prompt is displayed. That means you can
>type "stty -echo", push CR, the echo option is cleared, then zsh
>immediately sets it before you get to type again.

Wrong guess.  After I run "stty -echo", the echoing stays disabled:

% stty -echo
% date
Wed Oct 20 10:01:46 EDT 2010
% date
Wed Oct 20 10:01:47 EDT 2010
% date
Wed Oct 20 10:01:48 EDT 2010
% date
Wed Oct 20 10:01:49 EDT 2010

As to the guess about readline, I only observe this problem with
python (interactive) and ipython, but not with, say, the Perl
debugger, which uses readline as well.  FWIW.

~kj