Unix-head needs to Windows-ize his Python script

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Oct 20 16:53:39 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-20, Urpo T. Koira <utkoira at fuck.spam.gmail.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 2010-10-20, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> On 2010-10-20, Shawn Milochik <shawn at milochik.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Write a small GUI in the easy-to-use and cross-platform wxPython
>>> module. All this GUI needs to do is allow them to input the
>>> arguments. The code can then import your stand-alone version of the
>>> script and execute its code, passing the arguments in.
>>
>>> wxPython is just Python.
>>
>> No, it's not.
>>
>> You can't assume that any windows machine with Python installed also
>> has wxPython installed.  The only GUI kit that you can come close to
>> "assuming" is Tkinter.
>
> If using other toolkits, it's possible to compile a distributable
> package with dependencies using py2exe. That way even Python need not
> be installed.
>
> http://www.py2exe.org/

But, the OP said that he could assume that Python was already
installed, that he was windows-illiterate, and that he wanted to keep
things as bare-bones as possible.

I've used wxWindows+py2exe in the past, and it can be made to work
well. But, compared to distributing a simple source file for a Tkinter
program, wxWindows+py2exe is _far_ from "bare-bones", and not
something to be casually undertaken by the windows-illiterate.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm pretending I'm
                                  at               pulling in a TROUT!  Am I