Has Next in Python Iterators

Kelson Zawack zawackkfb at gis.a-star.edu.sg
Thu Oct 21 07:08:00 EDT 2010

I have been programing in python for a while now and by in large love
it.  One thing I don't love though is that as far as I know iterators
have no has_next type functionality.  As a result if I want to iterate
until an element that might or might not be present is found I either
wrap the while loop in a try block or break out of a for loop.  Since an
iterator having an end is not actually an exceptional case and the for
construct is really for iterating though the entirety of a list both of
these solutions feel like greasy workarounds and thus not very
pythonic.  Is there something I am missing?  Is there a reason python
iterators don't have has_next functionality?  What is the standard
solution to this problem?