pylint -- should I just ignore it sometimes?

Neil Cerutti neilc at norwich.edu
Thu Oct 21 11:45:17 EDT 2010

On 2010-10-21, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmichel at sequans.com> wrote:
> So If I get you right, because comments can lie, we should stop
> using comments?

No, but use comment judiciously. Kernighan and Pike (_The
Practice of Programming_) recommend writing your code to require
as little comment as possible. They provide typical examples of
useful and of harmful comments.

> While I totally understand why some ppl prefer to use short
> names, I really don't see the point in saying that because any
> information can be wrong, we should stop giving any.

Don't go that far. Applicable is Strunk's characteristic
admonition from _Elements of Style_: "Omit needless words! Omit
needless words! Omit needless words!" We should strive for a
balance between clarity and brevity. A useful comment, for
example one which  provides references to documents on the
algorithm implemented in your module, should be included.
Beginner mistakes like, "define a class to model birds," and, "#
increment the total," are worse than empty space.

--
Neil Cerutti