Interactive mode under DOS?

Peter Otten __peter__ at
Sun Oct 24 13:15:59 CEST 2010

huisky wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to use the interactive mode under DOS for Python 2.7. As a
> newbie, I do NOT know what is the following problem:
> . . . print "be carefule to be not fall out!"
>     File "<stdin>", line 2
>       print "be carefule to be not fall out!"
>               ^
> IndenatationError : expected an idented block
> Enybody knows how to fix this simple issue?
> regards

The lines that shall be executed when world_is_flat is True must be indented
more than the if. If you don't follow this rule Python complains and raises
an IndentationError.

>>> if world_is_flat:
... print "be careful"
  File "<stdin>", line 2
    print "be careful"
IndentationError: expected an indented block

The easiest way to indent in interactive mode is to hit TAB once:

>>> if world_is_flat:
...     print "be careful"
be careful

By the way, you should not retype your error messages because that is error
prone. Instead cut and paste. I think there is an entry in the system menu
of the dos window to help you do that.