Why "flat is better than nested"?

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Mon Oct 25 11:23:53 EDT 2010

On 10/25/2010 10:47 AM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Oct 25, 5:07 am, kj <no.em... at please.post> wrote:
>> In "The Zen of Python", one of the "maxims" is "flat is better than
>> nested"?  Why?  Can anyone give me a concrete example that illustrates
>> this point?
>
> Simple. This commandment (endowed by the anointed one, GvR) is
> directed directly at lisp and those filthy lispers. If you don't know
> what lisp is then Google it. Then try to program with it for one hour.
> Very soon after your head will explode from the nested bracket plague
> and then you shall be enlightened!

And everyone taking the Zen too seriously should remember that it was
written by Tim Peters one night during the commercial breaks between
rounds of wrestling on television. So while it can give useful guidance,
it's nether prescriptive nor a bible ...

regards
 Steve
PyCon 2011 Atlanta March 9-17       http://us.pycon.org/
See Python Video!       http://python.mirocommunity.org/