is list comprehension necessary?

Roy Smith roy at
Wed Oct 27 13:37:14 CEST 2010

antingrick <rantingrick at> wrote:
> I must admit you make a good point here however the only time that
> will slip you up is when you first experienced the Python LC syntax.
> After a few "hello world" LC's you'll begin to love and understand
> them completely.

I agree.  I resisted LCs when they first came out, passing them off as
unnecessary, confusing, etc.  Eventually, I came to be comfortable with
them and use them often.

I did not realize just how far my mind-change had gone until just
yesterday when I was hacking on some PHP code.  I wrote:

$values = array();
foreach ($ids as $id) {
   $values[] = $id;

and found myself asking my office-mate, "Hey, Chris, does PHP have list
comprehensions?"  I was bummed to discover that it does not.