curses and processing terminal escape characters

Dan Stromberg drsalists at
Fri Oct 29 19:57:43 CEST 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Tim Harig <usernet at> wrote:

> On 2010-10-29, mix <tmmikolajczyk at> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if there is a way in python to process a string
> > containing terminal escape characters. Example: Please consider the
> > following string:
> Python could easily process the escape codes for any given terminal; but,
> in general, you would want something that works for more then a single
> terminal type.  This means that you need something that can do a reverse
> translation of the termcap/terminfo database.

Actually, I believe it's become pretty rare for someone to use a terminal or
terminal emulator that doesn't support vt100 escape sequences or a superset
thereof.  My condolences if you try to emulate something that does those
old, nasty Wyse "magic cookies".