Windows vs.

Thu Sep 2 09:49:23 CEST 2010

In message <mailman.330.1283362312.29448.python-list at>, MRAB

> You should open the files in binary mode, not text mode, ie file(path,
> "rb"). Text mode is the default. Not a problem on *nix because the line
> ending is newline.

We used to pride ourselves on not having to worry about text versus binary
I/O modes on *nix, but I’m beginning to think the reality is we have to
adopt it.

To start with, it means we can automatically handle different newline
conventions with text files originating on different systems.