Python 2.7 module path problems on OS X

Nicholas Cole nicholas.cole at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 05:27:41 EDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Ned Deily <nad at acm.org> wrote:
> I'm not sure why you think it is broken.  The Apple 2.6 and the
> python.org 2.7 have different site-package directories in different
> locations.  That is to be expected.  The Apple-supplied Python comes
> with some additional packages pre-installed, like setuptools, PyObjC,
> and wx.  But you would need to install new versions of these for 2.7
> anyway.

Sorry. I wasn't clear.  Of course I understand that each version of
python needs its own additional packages, and I was expecting to
re-install them.  But I don't want to install system-wide --  I'd like
to have my own, user-specific, site-packages.  On previous versions of
python, I've  installed into
~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages under my home
directory.

In my recollection, this has worked in the past for python installed
from python.org, but perhaps that recollection is wrong.  At any rate,
it doesn't  work with python 2.7.

Best wishes,

Nicholas