include a file in a python program

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sun Sep 5 19:14:52 EDT 2010

In article <mailman.476.1283727475.29448.python-list at python.org>,
 bussiere bussiere <bussiere at gmail.com> wrote:

> i've got a python.txt that contain python and it must stay as it (python.txt)
>
> how can i include it in my program ?
> import python.txt doesn't work
> is there a way :
> a) to make an include("python.txt")
> b) tell him to treat .txt as .py file that i can make an import python ?
> i'am using python3

The simple solution (at least for unix-ish systems) would be to make a
symlink python.py -> python.txt.  If you don't have the ability to do
that externally, you could even have your python program create the
symlink on the fly, import the module, then delete the symlink.  The
symlink could even be in /tmp.

Another possible solution is to read the entire file into a string and
then eval() the string.  I'm assuming eval() still exists in python 3;
does it?

Yet another possibility (never tried this, but it seems reasonable)
would be to compile() your text file
(http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/functions.html#compile).

Of course, it would be a lot easier if you just renamed the file, but
I'll take it as a given that there are external forces which prevent you
from doing that.