Queue cleanup

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Tue Sep 7 23:37:40 EDT 2010

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> But alone of all of these, garbage collection still remains just as costly
> to implement as ever. That should tell you something about how poorly it
> matches the characteristics of modern computing hardware.

So maybe we need to redesign the hardware.

Perhaps reference counts could be stored in their own
special area of memory, updated in parallel with main
memory accesses so that they don't slow anything down.
Make it multiported so that all your cores can access
it at once without locking. Maybe even build it out of
counters instead of registers, so there's no data bus,
only an address bus and inc/dec control lines.

--
Greg