analysis of algoritms

Dave Angel davea at
Fri Sep 10 00:26:52 CEST 2010

  On 2:59 PM, Baba wrote:
> Hi
> In below code "the outer loop test in step 4 will execute ( n + 1 )
> times (note that an extra step is required to terminate the for loop,
> hence n + 1 and not n executions), which will consume T4( n + 1 )
> time." (from
> 1    get a positive integer from input
> 2    if n>  10
> 3        print "This might take a while..."
> 4    for i = 1 to n
> 5        for j = 1 to i
> 6            print i * j
> 7    print "Done!"
> Why does step 4 execute n+1 times? what is the exta step mentioned
> above
> tnx
> Baba
Why are you posting a question about BASIC syntax in a Python forum?
Python has no such statement, and its close approximations work much

If you really want an abstract answer, then you should be decomposing
those BASIC statements into smaller atoms.  The for statement is
composed of at least three "atoms", one of which is probably executed
n+1 times.

A BASIC for statement   for i=1 to n
decomposes into approximately:

4a,   i = 1
4b    compare i to n
4c    skip if greater
       5, 6 do some stuff
4d     increment i

Note that the increment happens after steps 5 and 6, but it's part of line 4

Also note that the exact details depend thoroughly on the brand and
version of BASIC, there being at least 60 versions out there.  For
example, I can think of at least three cases for what i will equal on
line 7.

Incidentally, in some versions of BASIC, 4b and 4c might come after 4d,
and only be executed n times.