How Python works: What do you know about support for negative indices?

Cameron Simpson cs at
Sun Sep 12 00:26:40 CEST 2010

On 10Sep2010 12:46, Daniel Fetchinson <fetchinson at> wrote:
| > Raymond Hettinger <python at> writes:
| >> It doesn't seem to be common knowledge when and how a[x] gets
| >> translated to a[x+len(x)].  So, here's a short info post on how Python
| >> supports negative indices for sequences.
| >
| > Thanks for this. Could you post your messages using a channel that
| > doesn't arbitrarily split your paragraphs into long-short-long-short
| > lines?
| It came across fine for me as well (gmail with basic html interface).
| > It makes paragraphs burdensome to read, and I skipped most of the
| > message because of that.
| You might want to switch to a client where you do not have this problem.

It was fine for me too, using mutt (fixed width text interface, 80
column terminal).
Cameron Simpson <cs at> DoD#743

A monkey has the right to copy what he sees other monkeys doing.
Shouldn't humans have equivalent rights?
- Alien Being <>