python27.exe vs python2.7.exe ...

Trent Mick trentm at activestate.com
Tue Sep 14 18:31:47 EDT 2010

On 10-09-14 2:52 PM, James Mills wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 7:25 AM, Sridhar Ratnakumar
> <sridharr at activestate.com>  wrote:
>> Thoughts?
>
> I've never been a Windows developer (probably never will be), but I
> have one thought:
>
> Why has ActivePython not been doing this all along ?

Hind sight is 20/20 is all I can say. :)

When I added support for "pythonXY.exe" instead of "pythonX.Y.exe" I was
trying to add an out-of-the-box equivalent for what I saw some core
developers doing with their own batch scripts: py20.bat, py21.bat, etc.
I didn't think to provide equivalence to the Unix shortcuts. Also, this
was a looong time ago (back when python 1.5, 1.6 and 2.0 were still
relevant) so it could be there there *weren't* many of the typical (now)
Linux "pythonX.Y" installed executables.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
ActiveState