Cross Compiling Python for ARM

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 15 14:54:13 EDT 2010

Thomas Jollans wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 September 2010, it occurred to Neil Benn to exclaim:
>> #
>> ./python
>>
>> -sh: ./python: not found
>

> I'm guessing either there is no file ./python, or /bin/sh is fundamentally
> broken.

.... or ./python is a symlink to a file that does not exist, or ./python
is a script and the shebang line points to an interpreter that does not
exist.

The most popular way to get the latter problem is to write the script
on a Windows box and then upload it to Unix box using FTP in binary
mode (or some other transport that doesn't adjust the line endings).

Try the command "file ./python".  If it reports something like:

     ./python: a /usr/bin/python\015 script text executable

, then the \015 tells you that you need to use dos2unix.

It may be the case that /bin/sh is fundamentally broken if it reports
"./python: file not found" if the problem is really the shebang line.
Unfortunately, some shells are fundamentally broken this way.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM