os.path.normcase rationale?

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Thu Sep 16 22:35:41 EDT 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 07:12:16 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

>> Yes, I know the behaviour is documented
>
> The docstring is fairly poor, IMO. You might want to submit a bug report
> to improve it.

The description in the library documentation is misleading:

os.path.normcase(path)
    Normalize the case of a pathname. On Unix and Mac OS X, this returns
    the path unchanged; on case-insensitive filesystems, it converts the
    path to lowercase. On Windows, it also converts forward slashes to
    backward slashes.

It implies that the behaviour depends upon the actual filesystem, which
isn't the case. It only depends upon the platform, i.e. it assumes that
all filenames are case-sensitive on Unix systems and case-insensitive on
Windows. But Unix systems can access FAT/SMBFS/etc filesystems which are
case-insensitive.