Too much code - slicing

Seebs usenet-nospam at
Mon Sep 20 01:30:32 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-19, MRAB <python at> wrote:
> On 19/09/2010 22:32, Seebs wrote:
>> On 2010-09-19, AK<andrei.avk at>  wrote:
>>> Because that's what 'if' and 'else' mean.

>> My point is, I don't want the order of the clauses in if/else to change.
>> If it is sometimes "if<condition>  <true-clause>  else<false-clause>", then
>> it should *ALWAYS WITHOUT EXCEPTION* be condition first, then true clause,
>> then false clause.  If it's sometimes "if condition true-clause else
>> false-clause", and sometimes "true-clause if condition else false-clause",
>> that's a source of extra complexity.
> [snip]
> Have you read PEP 308? There was a lot of discussion about it.

Interesting, in the historical section we see:

  The original version of this PEP proposed the following syntax:

	<expression1> if <condition> else <expression2>

	The out-of-order arrangement was found to be too uncomfortable
	for many of participants in the discussion; especially when
	<expression1> is long, it's easy to miss the conditional while

But apparently those objections were either unknown or disregarded when
the syntax was later adopted.

Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures <-- get educated!