Down with tinyurl! (was Re: importing excel data into a python matrix?)

Seebs usenet-nospam at
Mon Sep 20 05:53:06 CEST 2010

On 2010-09-20, Steven D'Aprano <steve at> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 06:16:49 -0700, Aahz wrote:
>> Please don't use tinyurl -- it's opaque and provides zero help to anyone
>> who might later want to look it up (and also no accessibility if tinyurl
>> ever goes down).  At the very least, include the original URL for
>> reference.

> Do you have something against tinyurl in particular, or would any URL
> shortener service also get your ire?

I'd assume all of them have the same essential problems:

* No hint as to what site you'll be getting redirected to.
* No cues from URL as to what the link is to.
* If the service ever goes away, the links become pure noise.

Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at <-- lawsuits, religion, and funny pictures <-- get educated!