[OT] Speed-reading [was Re: Too much code - slicing]

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Mon Sep 20 02:51:52 EDT 2010

On 2010-09-20, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> I don't know about how other people speed-read, but I can assure you that
> when my wife speed-reads, she's not just scanning a few words and
> interpolating between them. She can give you a detailed summary of what
> *actually* happened, not just a good guess. Including pointing out any
> spelling or grammatical errors and clumsy writing. *Especially* the
> spelling errors, they have about the same effect on her reading speed as
> a tree trunk lying across a Formula 1 race track.

Yeah.  I think it's because the entire trick is to have a nice smooth
pipeline, and the error-checking mechanism has to be pretty alert for that
to work -- you have to know if something went wrong.  And a spelling error
in the text is initially indistinguishable from a reading error in the
eye...

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net