develop for Windows on GNU/Linux, using Python

CM cmpython at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 19:10:13 EDT 2010

On Sep 20, 12:46 pm, Thomas Jollans <tho... at jollybox.de> wrote:
> On Monday 20 September 2010, it occurred to Default User to exclaim:

> > > You can always cross compile, not only over OS but even CPU architecture,
> > > but
> > > of course testing will be more difficult, on x86 based Linux you can use
> > > wine
> > > or similar to test, but can give you some differences to run on a native
> > > or virtualized instance.
>
> > < sigh > . . .
>
> > Well, that's about what I expected, unfortunately.   But thanks for the
> > honest replies.
>
> > [OT]
> > So what's the alternative -- use the end user's browser as an interpreter
> > for JavaScript or HTML5?
> > [/OT]
>
> Umn, what?
>
> Python makes it rather easy to write portable code. But you still need to test
> it properly on all platforms you want to support, because maybe there's some
> platform-specific glitch you weren't aware of.

My guess is, if the application the person is writing uses basic
features of Python and is more like a utility that one runs from the
command line, there will not be that many concerns--maybe none.  He
might get lucky and it will just work on Windows.  But if it is a GUI
app and he uses, say, wxPython, I know there can be fairly significant
differences in appearance between the two platforms, sometimes deal-
breakingly so (but definitely able to be worked around).  A lot
depends on how complex/fancy the GUI is.