Down with tinyurl! (was Re: importing excel data into a pythonmatrix?)

Seebs usenet-nospam at seebs.net
Mon Sep 20 23:01:53 EDT 2010

On 2010-09-21, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I use them when I want to conceal the target of the link. Usually here
> that just means its a letmegooglethatforyou.com link, which I find
> more amusing than is probably healthy.

I thought the idea was funny at first.

Then I posted a question on an IRC channel.  I had done a ton of searching
already, and I started by explaining the top three near-solutions I'd found
and why each of them wasn't actually a solution to my problem.  And someone
handed me a URL... which was to lmgtfy on the first search terms I tried.

And this caused me to realize just how amazingly insulting that can be when
done to someone who *did* already do the research.

While certainly there's plenty of people who didn't do their own searching,
there's also a fair number who are asking a question because they DID try
searching and there was some problem with one or more of the answers.

-s
--
Copyright 2010, all wrongs reversed.  Peter Seebach / usenet-nospam at seebs.net