Down with tinyurl! (was Re: importing excel data into a pythonmatrix?)

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 23:55:57 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 8:01 PM, Seebs <usenet-nospam at seebs.net> wrote:
> On 2010-09-21, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I use them when I want to conceal the target of the link. Usually here
>> that just means its a letmegooglethatforyou.com link, which I find
>> more amusing than is probably healthy.
>
> I thought the idea was funny at first.
>
> Then I posted a question on an IRC channel.  I had done a ton of searching
> already, and I started by explaining the top three near-solutions I'd found
> and why each of them wasn't actually a solution to my problem.  And someone
> handed me a URL... which was to lmgtfy on the first search terms I tried.
>
> And this caused me to realize just how amazingly insulting that can be when
> done to someone who *did* already do the research.
>
> While certainly there's plenty of people who didn't do their own searching,
> there's also a fair number who are asking a question because they DID try
> searching and there was some problem with one or more of the answers.

It's a joke. Admittedly it's a bit pointed, but it's a joke
nonetheless, and it does at least provide what I consider to be two
valuable pieces of information: that you should have googled this
before asking, and what you should have googled for. If I miss and
you've done your homework already, well, at least you get the smug
satisfaction of knowing that I was too stupid to understand your
question.

Geremy Condra