Python in Linux - barrier to Python 3.x

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Tue Sep 21 10:47:18 EDT 2010

On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 15:23:42 +0200
deets at web.de (Diez B. Roggisch) wrote:
> So, in summary, I think if anything, Python should liberate itself from
> the reigns of distro package management, and fix whatever issues there
> are with setuptools (or distutils or pip or distribute or whatever the
> cool kids use these days). And then make people use that to work with
> Python-packages, potentially even in individual, isolated VirtualEnvs
> because of package version conflicts.

Install NetBSD package tools (http://pkgsrc.org/) and install as many
versions as you like.  A symlink takes care of your default and you can
use .pth files to have separate local libraries.  Pkgsrc is designed to
run on all OSs including Linux distros.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves