Finding email threads with mailbox.mbox

Skye skyepn at
Fri Sep 24 04:31:20 CEST 2010

I'm working on a script to read large numbers of mail list archives in
mbox format and dump them into a database.  I was happy to find
mailbox.mbox because I like writing Python =)

However I need to find email threads (replies, quoted test, Re:
subjects etc) and it doesn't look like anything in the standard Python
library will help me with that.

I suppose I could yank some code from Mailman's pipermail or something
for identifying discussion threads, but I was wondering if anyone had
any other suggestions before I reinvent the wheel.